October 24, 2017
This week, please read Chapter 6 of the Mullally text and watch the video linked below. The video is by Dr. Manu Meyer, a Native Hawaiian scholar, and is focused on epistemology – otherwise known as the theory of knowledge, and sometimes referred to as a worldview.
After watching it, I’d like you to think about the following things:
- How have you learned what you have learned? Where does your knowledge come from?
- How do you think your western education has impacted your knowledge and how you learn?
- Have you gained knowledge in non-western ways? What did you learn and how?
- How important might place-based knowledge be to the practice of social work?
- What does Dr. Meyer’s talk have to do with internalized oppression discussed in Mullally?